Responding to Mr. Edwards' Class

Your next task will be to read a selection of responses from Mr. Edwards' students. They have also presented their persuasive arguments for chewing (or not chewing) gum or for wearing hats (or not wearing) in public placess. Once you've read the entries, choose one that you would like to respond to thoughtfully. Be sure to follow the Power Paragraph structure and provide evidence (research) that either supports their ideas or refutes their ideas. Be sure to review the rubric and aim for a level 3 or level 4 response.

To read Mr. Edwards' Grade 7 posts, go to http://edwardsgrade7.21classes.com

To respond go to our blog page http://berclass204.21classes.com and click on this post, then reply. Your first line in the response should indicate which "mc" blogger you're responding to in your post.

For example,

"Hats Off" mcpanda onApril 29, 2008at7:55 PM

Mcpanda clearly identifies three reasons why you should take your hat off indoors...... (and then continue with your power paragraph).

Good Luck!

on  May 13, 2008  at  2:26 PM

"Chewing Gum" mcpenguin on April 30
Mcpenguin clearly states some very true facts about chewing gum in school. Here are some other unknown facts; first, chewing gum in class improves your memory up to 28% and your IQ by 15 points, according to enzinearticles.com Secondly, teachers chew gum, so why can't students?I feel that is extremely unfair. Lastly, I think chewing gum in school is okay, as long as you don't stick the gum under the desks, spit it at people or play with your gum. Overall I think gum should be allowed in schools.
on  May 13, 2008  at  3:32 PM

Re: mcelephant: gum in class on April 30, 2008at7:06 PM
I disagree with mcelephant for three reasons. The first is that children should not be rewarded with a privilege like the allowance of gum in class if they cannot obey the current rules (no gum in class). If they cannot resist the temptation of a piece of gum, what makes you think that they will be able to follow the rules that mcelephant mentioned earlier? Also, if a student wants to have gum for dental purposes, they can eat before school, after school, and on the weekend. Finally, did you know that www.biology.duke.edu states that a typical piece of gum weighs eight grams, and of that six grams is sugar. This sugar dissolves in your mouth and ends up just like a piece of candy. This is why the flavor of gum disappears so quickly. As many readers may not have guessed, I love gum. I just think that we shouldn't be allowed to chew it in school.
on  May 13, 2008  at  4:54 PM
(ModifiedComment modified)

Chewing Gum-Mcarmadillo-May 13, 2008
I agree with mcarmadillo. Firstly, it would be gross if someone had to talk in front of the class and while they were talking their gum fell out of their mouth, or you could see the gum. I also agree that some people will stick it under their desk or someone else’s desk when their done with it. It can also discourage talking that's true, but we haven’t actually been allowed to have gum in class so will people still talk with gum in their mouth? The teachers could have rules and consequences, those are some reasons I agree with mcarmadillo.
on  May 13, 2008  at  5:00 PM

‘’Chewing Gum’’ I agree with mckoala April 28 2008 at 5:00pm. I agree with mckoala for three main reasons. First he/she said that it would reduce the amount you talk . I now my teacher would enjoy that. Secondly he/she said that it woud give you bod breath. I now there is some gum that helps your teeth. Lastly he/she that they could’ent find any rule that said we could’ent chew gum. I could’ent either in my agenda. I totally agree with mckoala, chew on!!!!
on  May 13, 2008  at  5:00 PM

"chewing gum" mcraptor on Tuesday, May 13 2008
Mcraptor, I totaly agree that we should be allowed to chew gum in the classroom, but I had some trouble understanding your blog. You didn't use capitals and you spelled most of the words wrong. You didn't have any info to back up your idea and its not quite a proper paragraph, it was only two sentences. Try re-reading your blog before you submit it next time. Good work
on  May 14, 2008  at  1:29 AM
(ModifiedComment modified)

"Bubble Gum in Class" mcpolarbear on April 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM
How many of you have ever chewed gum in class before? I bet at least seven of you had just said to yourself ... " I have." Well I know for a fact that I have chewed gum in class, and many others that I know have too. First of all, I completely agree with what mcpolarbear is saying. Students should be allowed to chew gum in class or even in school, gum isn't something that you can die from, it is something that prevents morning breath. Some children who may wake up late or don't even have enough time to brush their teeth in the morning, end up going to school with bad breath, and in most schools teachers won't allow children to go to the washroom to brush their teeth for 3 minutes. The second reason I agree with mcpolarbear is because he/she mentioned that there are teachers in his/her school that have been chewing gum. With teachers and staff being allowed to chew gum, students should also have the right too to chew gum in both school and in class. Both teachers and staff put together the rule of no chewing gum in school or in class, but nowadays children in schools are seeing teachers chewing on one piece of gum, which isn't really fair, in my opinion. Last but not least, as mcpolarbear said, in class all you can hear is .. "blah,blah,blah" while your trying to work. Teachers don't like to hear talking 24/7 during class time, but really if there weren't a rule about gum chewing most kids would be chewing gum instead of talking. But that concludes why I agree with mcpolarbear.
on  May 14, 2008  at  2:26 PM

mclemur on April 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM
I agree with mclemur about chewing gum. Firstly, teacher's shouldn't be able to chew gum. This is wrong because little kids look up to teachers and try to do everything they do. Secondly, gum will help you to concentrate. According to enzinearticles.com, gum increases your reading speed by 15%. Finally, there are perscription gums that will help fight off bad diseases in your teeth. One of those diseases is gingevitis which some gum ios proven to fight it off. Those are the good reasons from mclemur.
on  May 14, 2008  at  3:45 PM
(ModifiedComment modified)

“Chewing Gum” Mcbee on April 30th, 2008
I agree with the paragraph mcbee has written. Chewing gum in class should be allowed in school or in our classrooms. However, Mcbee was missing some information that should have been in his/her paragraph. To start off, s/he clearly stated that chewing gum is a way to freshening your breath after eating something that could cause bad breath. I think that this was a clear sentence but mcbee needs to add a power 2, then 3, because they had used a run-on sentence in this section. Mcbee’s second point is that it prevents you from talking and I disagree with that fact. When you chew gum, it doesn’t matter if you speak while chewing, and it will not prevent you from talking because some people do it anyway: with or without gum in your mouth. Mcbee finishes his/her paragraph with a statement saying “ It's not like people would purposely spit gum on the ground so why can't we chew it?” It don’t agree with this sentence. Some people do purposely spit there gum out on the ground and it causes it to stick to shoes, get spread across the pavement or grass and it does gross some people out. Chewing gum is great, and I do chew gum so I would love to have it at school. That concludes my response to Mcbee’s comment on “Chewing Gum”
on  May 15, 2008  at  3:27 PM

“bubble gum in class”
Responding to Mcelephant
May. 15/ 08
I do agree with Mcelephant that we should be allowed to chew gum in class. But in his or her paragraph they didn't mention some important facts. Like gum helps students focus more on there work and less on talking. If there no talking in class the teacher would have to yell all the time and there would be more peace in the class. Another thing that Mcelephant missed is when students don't get up early enough to brush their teeth and if you don't brush your teeth in the morning your breath will stink for the rest of the day. When your breath smells at school it wont be good for the people around you to smell. Last is teachers get to chew gum in school and students don't. Almost everyday I see teachers or staff chewing gum in school, and I feel teachers should follow the same rules as students. That is basically what Mcelephant missed in his or her paragraph, and here's a tip for writing paragraphs just try to add a little more information.
on  May 15, 2008  at  3:39 PM

“Chewing Gum”, mcpanther, May 15th, 2008
I agree with what mcpanther is saying. Firstly, I agree that chewing gum in class would be good. It does make your breath smell better and it will probably make the students talk less. Secondly, I agree with mcpanther in disagreeing. It is really gross when you pick up a chair and all you fell is a hard already chewed piece of gum. That is why I agree with mcpanther and think they did a great job.
on  May 15, 2008  at  3:47 PM

“chewing gum”
Mckoala April 28, 2008 at 5:00 pm
I agree with this paragraph that Mckoala. Chewing gum should be allowed in class and this person clearly states that it is good for you. Even though he/she stated that it will bust up work. I agree with this persons statement gum does make your breath smell better and it could also help u concentrate on your homework. Mckoala has good sentence structure but he/she needs a power of two three two three two three, this person has a power of one but they had one run-on sentence but over all his/her paragraph and good sentence structure and I think we should be allowed to be ale to chew gum after reading this article even though i chew gum in class. That was my response on Mckoala’s paragraph. “Chewing Gum”
on  May 15, 2008  at  3:48 PM
(ModifiedComment modified)

mcphoenix on April 28, 2008 at 9:30 PM
I agree with mcphoenix because gum does help you remember things better. He/she does not include the websites which he/she found this information but I know it is true because I saw it on the internet. He/she also has run on sentences which I hate. I do also know that when you have gum in your mouth you talk less because you are too focused on chewing gum. He/she also says that gum has vitamin C which helps in the prevention of gum disease and other forms of mouth sicknesses like, and not limited to, plaque, cavities, and gingivitis, and even gum bleeding. Those are the good points that I saw in his/her article. One the bad thing I saw was that he/she did not state where they got their information from.
I agree with this article completely.
berbearcub